ZBrushCentral

Why is my Alpha producing jagged lines?

I made my first Alpha, and it is simply line art that was originally a vector. The lines are pretty thin.

Can someone please tell me how can I avoid all of the jagged surface from the alpha? I applied this to a high poly dynamesh. I saw that you can Polish by Group, but is there a way to make the Alpha itself better before that?

The lines are pretty thin in the Alpha and I have no blur. But Blur would only help the edges, correct? I have jagged features throughout the entire Alpha stroke.

I’ve attached what my Alpha looks like that I import and then the jaggies that are created when I apply the Alpha to my model.

Thank you.

Rick

Attachments

alpha.jpg

jaggies.jpg

That alpha is going from black to white with no value between. So you are stair stepping from extreme to the other. The details of each line also appear to be smaller than the resolution of your alpha.

Basically, that’s a bad alpha.

OK, thanks. That is helpful. I should make a new alpha and will probably just do a thick outline, and fade/blend everything.

Can someone post an example of a good Alpha or are there tutorials on how to make an Alpha that is not a random surface texture, but of a logo or crisp image?