ZBrushCentral

Action Hero - CARICATURE - W.I.P

This is not based of a real action hero but more of the sterio typical character.

I want him to look like a hard ass from the 1980’s. Im trying real hard to make him not look like Clint Eastwood. Maybe a mix with Jason Stratham and Bruce Willis.

I will show a WIP at each stage through to completion. I think my methods are generic but if anyone has any questions feel free to ask.

Dont be shy Critics welcome.

Sculpt 1
Basically stretched to sphere primitives to the shape I wanted, merged them and ‘remesh all’ at the lowest Res that would hold the shape I wanted.

[attach=236802]sculpt-1.jpg[/attach]

Sculpt 2
Sculpted in the main shapes. added ears as seperate subtools and mereged and remeshed again.

[attach=236803]sculpt-2.jpg[/attach]

Sculpt 3
Just lowered the brow and worked on the lips a bit.

[attach=236804]sculpt-3.jpg[/attach]

Sculpt 4
Worked on adding more detail and refining the shapes.

[attach=236805]sculpt-4.jpg[/attach]

Retopology
Retopology in zbrush. added inside the mouth. added a t-shirt.
1682 Poly base mesh.

[attach=236806]retopology.jpg[/attach]

Polygroups
I added poly groups and creases to help select areas and keep hard edges.

[attach=236814]polygroups-and-creases.jpg[/attach]

Sculpt 5
Sculpting more details. concentrating on the areas around the eyes. Hes in a standard pose but will be posed with a better expression on his face at the end.

[attach=236816]sculpt-5.jpg[/attach]

Sculpt 6

Refining the sculpt. I used ‘smooth crease’ to help bring out the seam along his shirt. Im liking the progress so far. I still need to pose him and give him some expression. Im thinking of adding some scars and sweat marks on his shirt.

Going for a hard ass Action Hero bust. Any thoughts?

sculpt-6-thumb.jpg

[attach=236982]sculpt-6.jpg[/attach]

Attachments

sculpt-1.jpg

sculpt-2.jpg

sculpt-3.jpg

sculpt-4.jpg

retopology.jpg

polygroups-and-creases.jpg

sculpt-5.jpg

sculpt-6.jpg

Got around to posing and rendering him. Rendered in Zbrush. Looking at doing a clay render in mental ray.

Made some edits

thumb.jpg

Attachments

color-render-2.jpg

Excellent presentation and great result soulty666. :+1:
I also use the remesh-project method and basic primitives. But the retopo zb tool isn’t my favorite. I really don’t know how to work on back sides. I tried all these transparency palettes but I don’t know how you manage this guys.
A question: How can I edit an existing topology? Using the zspheres etc but I end up with a wire only.

I use 3.5 for retopo. It seems to not have the problem that zbrush 4 has.

no see-through/backside mesh on retopo
1. In 3.5 I just add the merged mesh into ‘Rigging’(in TOOL menu) - ‘select mesh’ (this stops it from being transparant and is what you retopologize over).

2.Then in ‘Topology’(in TOOL menu) - ‘edit topology’ to start retopology.

To edit an existing topology
1. same as above.

2.Then in ‘Topology’(in TOOL menu) - ‘select mesh’ to insert the editable mesh over the reference(from ‘rigging’ mesh). from here you can edit. (make sure to use a low polymesh)

note: You can use the high poly as the merged mesh (reference mesh) and then add the low poly over this as the editable mesh. Make sure to clone and merge all sub tools as a high poly and a low poly for this.

Thanks for the feedback. I hope this doesn’t confuse you further. I had the same problem when starting to use Zbrush 4.

great man, love your flat face style :+1: cool renders too

Phrost: Thanks man.

Clay render. Mental Ray

[attach=237684]clay-render.jpg[/attach]

Attachments

clay-render.jpg

Great bust Soulty with a lot of character.:slight_smile:

pg

Thanks PG.

Love it.

Got around to doing a clay render in zbrush.

thumb.jpg

Attachments

Render1.jpg

Render4.jpg

Render2.jpg

Basemesh-layers.jpg

Polygroup-views.jpg

This is just a wonderful sculpt, I can’t believe there aren’t more comments!
I really appreciate how you broke down your workflow.:+1:

It’s a very stylized character so it’s tuffer to critique and may be why there hasn’t been. Personally, I find when the earlobes attach directly to the head like that, really creepy…ew. I don’t think it detracts in anyway from the character though and is also a good way of adding more diversity/personality to it.

I also thought it reminded me of the one and only Bruce Campbell from the Evil Dead and Army of Darkness. Also around 1980’s too!
[attach=238353]Bruce Campbell.jpg[/attach]

Attachments

Bruce Campbell.jpg

Shop smart. Shop S. Mart!!

Great work soulty i love it…

IsaacSG: Thanks for the crit. I think it resembles bruce too. Never noticed before. Cheers.

shrikant09: thanks

It’s superb! Good job, love it.

:+1:

I havent studied your workflow yet but i will. It looks promising. Great job btw.

Thanks guys.

Turntable

[youtubehd]5VRXyXhnnJA&hd=1[/youtubehd]