ZBrushCentral

Coal Miner

Al.Tintop, Rouncer, Ivar_sn
Guys, thanks for the support! :+1:

real nice one Rudy. I love the subject matter…

There’s some great emotion going on in the face! Nice stuff!

great work !

Heyhey Magda, KrakenCMT, Majid,

I’m familiar with your portfolios as well and I really find them awesome. So it’s a big compliment. Thanks!

The level of details on the head is beautiful. I really like how you capture his emotions from your references.

How did you render your model? It’s very clean.

I’m definitly looking forward for your updates.

Hey BadHairDay,
Thanks man, I appreciate your kind words. I will do a breakdown on the render soon. It’s rather simple actually, but maybe it helps others too.

Here are the render passes I used for this image. The one pass that missing in the final result is a
color/diffuse texture map. Texturing the character is planned when I’m done sculpting the entire character.

I used one light source for the image. Looking at the picture above; next to the Combined image is a
render of a standard MatCap material. Shadow is already combined with the image. I rendered a cosine and
specular pass and placed those two on top of the base image using the Screen layer blend in Photoshop.
I also rendered out a waxy skin material which I applied only on the ears by hand painting a mask for that
area. The final image is a rendering that is going to be used as a mask. I used a flat color for this. Once
tuned and balanced in Photoshop I did some final effects on the picture, all not to obvious because it could
distract to much. These are the steps that where done on top of the image:

A pore mans depth of field was done by using an oval selection of his face, then invert the selection and
feathered it by quite a large number. Then I used the blur filter in a stepped/controlled way.
Relighting was used by a gradient (left corner) and multiplied it with the image. I also added a bit of
achromatism and vignetting using the lens correction filter. And finally a gradient in the background.
I ended up with a quite sad color scheme, but for this image I like it to be this way.
Hope you enjoyed the read.

Amazing work! His face and expression looks so natural. I think that you’ve managed to find the perfect balance with the wrinkles.
I also like the looseness and the asymmetry in the clothing. It works very well.

very good! thanks for sharing the technology :slight_smile:

Just awesome skills on the head… really shows the emotion and mood of the
guy! clothes are extremly nice aswell!

good job! top notch!

• Rune

Fantastic work. Really love the emotion in the face.

Guys, I’m flattered by your compliments.

Undoz Currently there are some folds in his cloth but I’m afraid that most of them need to be remade after I’m done posing him.
edit: how could I’ve missed that, I was just drooling over your work on CGS this afternoon. :smiley:

Uber No problem, happy to share. Even though it’s a simple set-up and explanation, I hope it helps other artists here too. Thanks a lot for your support!

RuneRask A big thank you!

AJ Jefferies Thanks a lot, glad you like it.

I completed the sculpt of the miner body. Hope you like it

thumb.jpg

Attachments

RudyMassar_Miner_TopDown copy.jpg

RudyMassar_Miner_LineUp copy.jpg

Good Job Rudy!!

Thanks Paul :+1: love your work too

Hey, nice job!! 5*!

INcredible work. I like the render of th head
You can to put a capture of the layers in photoshop.I have not understood very well as functions.
THank you very much.

Bas Thanks for the support!
Topopatato Thanks bud! Sure, I can show you how I composite these render passes in Photoshop but have a look first more in depth but similar approach by Bulgarov.

hey rudy excellent job- the expression on his face is fantastic!
so natural and so much emotion
love it 5*