ZBrushCentral

Rafael Duffie's Gnomon Sketchbook (WIP) Comments Welcome!!

Wvolfie…
Hey everyone!! This is another peice I am working on a wolfhead… I know I haven’t even finished my hero character but I am trying to do multiple jobs at once. trying to keep things fresh and sharpen my skills. Enjoy Wvolfie…

[![wolfHead_crop.jpg|792x1094](upload://fIl0LP218MyMpXQglovEg3xQa2C.jpeg)]![hero1.jpg|720x540](upload://clOFk7bC3OnAib90tkNofHiy7mV.jpeg)

Attachments

hero1.jpg

hero2.jpg

hero3.jpg

hero4.jpg

Hey Rafael!

Thanks for finding me. I had a hard time remembering your user name when I got home that night. Its really hard to get noticed on Zbrush central. So I'm glad we found each other. As a matter of fact we should talk to the class next week to see about sharing info so we can all give feedback on each others work. I think it would be really helpful to students that want more critique of there work.

As for your guy here, I think he is coming along well. Have you taken anatomy classes? I really like the lips and ears, they seem spot on. The only area bothering me are the creases between the brow, I know that crease naturally happens but i think it would be more subtle. As for a hero bust, its looking great. I like how you can even see a hint of confidence in his face already. Good work! Can’t wait to see more.

Tim

Hey Tim. Thanks for the insight… I stayed up all last night working on the ZSphere model… I am going to redo the Hero character in its entirety. I am going to design the entire character now… Not just the head bust. So that is coming soon…

Hey Rafael

Great start my friend. Can not tell that this is your first sculpt. The eye lids seem to be a little wide, almost like he has a stunned expression on his face. He looks a little lumpy. I can tell that you used the Clay Brush.

All and all great start my friend…do not hesitate to ask me any questions at all.

Paul

Hey Paul-

Thanks for the feedback!! Much appreciated. I am going to definitely change him up a bit. I am still getting the feel for doing textures and stuff so nothing new yet. You have any tips on doing textures and normal maps? I can really use the help my friend!!

Thanks in advance!!
Respectfully-
Rafael Duffie

James from Intro to Zbrush,

Hey this are looking awesome, I especially like that first one…great work on the texture and I like the expression.

I thought you showed me a polypaint of the Hero. He is looking good so far, the only comment on that one is:

The neck area, the sternocleidomastoid (muscle running from behind the ear to the clavical, seems a bit thick at the widest part. Also where the traps are running up the back of the neck seem a bit thick. These observations could be totally wrong if the rest of this character is massively muscular. Or it could the style you are shooting for. What are your plans for these characters? Full body?

Well keep the creating going!! See around at Gnomon.

J

Hey James-

Thanks for posting and all the good advice!! Yeah the Hero character that I am making is going to be a complete character sometime soon… I have a lot of work to do on him and will choose the next two weeks to work on it for my final. I will post some more progress in a few days. I will keep you posted.

Hey and thanks again for the input.

Raf-

Hey, so I finally registered for Zbrush Central. I am still learning how to work with the form and use it fully. Anyways here is a link to my sketchbook
http://www.zbrushcentral.com/zbc/showthread.php?t=74209

Its nice to see our little class community growing here =)

Peace!
Aggie

Yeah Class is growing!! We just need to get everyone on board and have everyone post their work!! That would be AWESOME!!

Looking good man - heads coming along well - keep it up

ZBrush FINAL.
I couldn’t really get the textures to export to Maya as .tif files so I just took a couple of screen shots from ZBrush. Enjoy…

[zProject000.jpg]zProject004.jpg

Attachments

zProject001.jpg

zProject002.jpg

zProject003.jpg

If you are just exporting color don’t bother with tif. I export psd to photoshop and edit them as i like before taking them into maya. Normal, bump and dif maps are different though.

As for the model, looks like a really good start. Shying away from the ears i see. Remember that’s the first thing Eric looks at :D. Cant wait for the anatomy class to start. See you around man. Keep it up!

Tim

Nice work. The nostrils on the male figure bother me a little, too round I think. Nostrils are more teardrop shaped. I little more flesh can be added to the end of the female’s nose as well as her upper lip.

Looks cool, keep 'em coming!

Character Concept
This is s a character concept for this project I am working on. It is an alien exoskeleton suit. If you are compelled to look at this image please be compelled enough to leave feedback!!

Thanks-
Rafael Duffie

[](javascript:zb_insimg(‘168846’,‘cc1.jpg’,1,0)) cc1_a_1.jpg[/QUOTE]

Attachments

cc3_a_1.jpg

Character Concept
This is s a character concept for this project I am working on. It is an alien exoskeleton suit. If you are compelled to look at this image please be compelled enough to leave feedback!!

Thanks-
Rafael Duffie

cc1_a_1.jpg

Pretty cool looking Rafael. I wish Ryan would show us some hands and feet, that way our characters would look a little more complete. Looks like you are getting the hang of the 3.5 features pretty well. Keep it coming.

Tim

Most people on zbrushcentral don’t comment on wip’s, they wait and swoon over finished pieces. Don’t depend on comments of encouragements or critique or feedback to judge your work. you’re doing good. Nice design.

Thanks! I appreciate the feedback! I am busting my a$$ trying to get good at Zbrush. I am taking every class and getting every resource that I possibly can from Gnomon and everywhere else on the face of the earth to try to make my characters come to life so I can finish my short film.

Respectfully-
Rafael Duffie

Hi Raphael,

This is Aamir from last semester at Gnomon. Nice to see your work on here. These wips are lookin good man, you’ve definitely been working. Sometimes it’s tough to get replies in this place, but keep cranking them out dude and you’ll get better and more people will eventually take notice.

On this last character, here are my thoughts. This is just a small part, and it’s hard to get a feel for the proportions, how they relate to each other and how the character feels, what kind of emotion I get from it. Since the face doesn’t have features that resemble any living being, you gotta make the body very expressive, like big hands or hunched over or cool proportions. Also, it’s nice when there are areas of open space and then areas of a lot of detail, it kind of lets the eye travel easier.

On the body, I haven’t used 3.5 so I can’t tell where the new features end and the design begins. I’ll be pretty harsh (the best critiques I’ve ever had were the ones that were the hardest). In the body, there’s not much to it so far, the clavicle is sort of worked out, but it’s still very loose. Make sure the overall masses are what you want and something that you like and find interesting. It’s like the pecs are there, but they are kind of generic. It’s still very early, so u may not have gotten to it yet. So far I’m thinking, why are the lower parts flat and the upper parts round if they don’t lead to anything that would cause this. They don’t connect in a way that makes sense, like in the skeleton, the rib cage is protecting the heart and all of that. The back makes more sense, and I like where you’re going with this. Maybe break the forms into smaller ones, like the flat piece of the deltoid or the flat parts of the triceps. Break those forms into smaller ones and it will be cool.

The best part is definitely the head, especially the upper area where the round part above the cheeks descends back and the detailing of how flat and mechanical meets the round parts and smooth parts. Overall, the stuff looking real nice man. Keep posting stuff on here.

Hey Aamir.
Thanks for the feedback bro! I will consider all and keep working hard on establishing form and proportion. I have been up all night for the past few nights putting this guy together for my final. I am going to put some hands and feet on him and complete him hopefully by the end of next week. Also going to have to texture him for my 3D Paint class. Again thanks for the feedback.

Respectfully-
Rafael Duffie