ZBrushCentral

Reclining Poseidon in the style of Baroque (with Ztool links)

Greetings all,
I have been working on this original baroque sculpt for well over a year.

Its an absolute pleasure to share the fruits of this journey with you all.

[]

[]

[]

[]

[]

[]

[]

Source files for download:

All source / Final files hosted by Pixollogic !
(OBJ / ZTL / ZMT / ZLI) here (97 MB file):

http://download.pixologic01.com/zmodels/poseidon.zip

Read on if you are interested in a little more background to this project , along with some references and so forth.

BACKGROUND INFO

Be it known that I’m not a gifted modeler and a tremendous amount of time / trial and error went into getting this model to a what I envisioned as finished state.

There is nothing new or innovative in what is presented below… but I do hope you get something out of reading on…

Background:

The three main aims of this project were:

1/ To model a posed figure (and not with the usual symmetrical arms out stretched for rigging) in an attempt to demonstrate weight, gesture. and resting anatomy to the best of my abilities.

2/ To explore the techniques described by Zack Petroc’s Gnomon DVD lecture

“Digital Sculpting: Human Anatomy” http://www.thegnomonworkshop.com/dvds/zpe01.html

3/ To share the sources / finished files.

I looked into the Baroque era of Italian sculpture after seeing how this movement influences Zack’s amazing work… Almost immediately I fell obsessively in love with the idyllic and stunning way these old masters rendered these stone figures…

I hope some of you out there are inspired to study the baroque masters and incorporate some of their concepts into your own digital work…

Below is a list of resources that were invaluable to me as reference / inspiration:

Art Books:

Bernini by Rudolph Wittkower (Paperback - Sep 26, 1997)

Michelangelo by Ludwig Goldscheider (Paperback - August 15, 1996)

Modelling and Sculpting the Human Figure – by Edouard Lanteri; (Paperback 1902 - 1904)

3d Models:

Zack’s Slightly Super Man Ztool see http://www.zbrushcentral.com/zbc/showthread.php?t=20709

3d Scan of Michaelangelo’s David http://graphics.stanford.edu/software/scanview/

Reference Images tile:

The initial pose was inspired by the below comic book image from the Marvel graphic novel “Loki” illustrated by Esad Ribic. (I ditched the trident / spear at the last minute as in the end I felt it fought with the reclining figure’s composition…ill post it up later i guess)

The figure’s head and general style was strongly influenced by one of the reclining figures in Bernini’s “Fountain of the Four Rivers”

[]

Grabbing the camera and snapping some reference pics of my hands etc was pretty useful too.

WIP pics:

Initial skeleton pose (skeleton from an old 3dsmax book) was then coved with a Base mesh created in 3dsmax, the below amorphous base mesh was what i started with in zbrush :

[]

Some Self critiquing along the way (you really gotta hang in there and keep pushing as things seem pretty crap for a large part of the journey!!!)

[]

…phew im spent !! ,

Man what a collosal post!!! apologies to those on slower connections :frowning:
or those falling asleep to my dribble :slight_smile:

anways
enjoy and be well

cheers

jim kalogiratos

Poseidon_Chest_Detail.JPGPoseidon_Head_Detail.JPGPoseidon_refs.jpgPoseidon_Base.jpgPoseidon_WIP.jpgPoseidon_Front_AA.JPGPoseidon_Right.JPGPoseidon_Mid_Shot.JPGThumb_new_ZBC.jpgPoseidon_Hand_Detail.JPG

That’s a pretty substantial first post, for sure! And loads of great working detail to go with a great looking model. Thanks. You don’t ask for crits, so I won’t offer any, but it looks like you learned plenty along the way. Bet you’re looking forward to trying something else now.

Welcome to ZBC. :+1:

Great work.
you can tell the passion you have for 3d art.

…sculpture :+1:

Killer sculpt! :+1: :+1: :+1:

fantastic sculpt mate - would love to see a nice big high resolution render of the whole piece

Thanks for all the comments guys ,

Anyone grab the source files ?

working?

here is an antialiased version of the first image :slight_smile:

[](javascript:zb_insimg(‘35734’,‘Poseidon_Front_AA.JPG’,1,0))Poseidon_Front_AA.JPG

great work!

Alex Oliver

omg nice cant believe you got the end result out of that plain base mesh… the beard and hair are seperate objects ?

The figure its self is one whole mesh,

At times i though i would have to have a seperate object for the head etc , but I grabbed some more ram (taking me up to 2 gigs) and pushed the figure up to 6 subdiv levels , 2.4 mill polys

it was a close one though :slight_smile:

the last render is awesome! Your hard work pays out, i love it.

Seems my first 3 images stopped working ??

re uploaded them :slight_smile:

man im surprised the first post could handle so many images !

all power to the ZBC forum !!

Really impressive work. That hair - you’re a masochist. Enjoyed the self cirt image too, the “wak” comments made me laugh.

Falling asleep at your dribble?C’mon ppl like me wish for more more more!!!

Keep inspiring us,
thanks.:+1: :large_orange_diamond:

Be it known that I’m not a gifted modeler
You certainly had me fooled.
Image just fantastic.
What I appreciate more however is your generousity
toward your fellow artists.
Speaks volumes about you and your talent.
May good fortune shine upon you.

that’s a really great model. superb weight and gesture, you really nailed your goals i think. out of curiosity, how long did this sculpt take you?

great modeling!!!
I´d like to know the presets and configuration you used on ANTIALIASING on the updated version, please…I´m not very happy with the zbrush antialias, provable cause I don´t know how to use it 100%.

I just rendred the image double size and pressed the button on the side which says “AAhalf”

:slight_smile:

Aloooooooong time lots of trial and error

maybe 300+hours ?

dunno im scared to find out how long it really took (production was spread over a 1.5 year period)

Fantastic piece. Deservedly top row. Would like to get the ztool to look at but sadly always seems full the download slot.

I do have 1 crit though. The feet positions are just wrong. Well I say wrong, they arent’ touching the floor but are floating in space. I’d suggest rotating the foot so that the ball/heel are resting on the floor or add a rock underneath so that they appear to be resting upon it.

Try sitting down with your feet in that position. it’s not natural.

Just loooking again … and have a 2nd crit/comment. It may just be the perspective but the left leg appears to be shorter than the right. I’m sure its not as you based your mesh around the skeleton etc it may just be the floating foot problem causing it to look like that as from the viewpoint I can’t tell how much further forward that foot is…the old foreshortening trick.

Other than that beautiful sculpting. Hopefully I’ll get a look at the tool sometime.

El-d